Custom Search

Sunday, July 27, 2008

How I became a CPA (Certified Public Accountant)

It was May 2000 and everyone from my batch were busy enrolling to the course they desire for college. Some enrolled in Engineering, others in Medical Course and some in Commerce or Business-related field. As for me, I have not made up my mind which path to follow. My parents kept bugging me to enroll to any course. They gave me money to pay for the enrollment. So, finally, I decided to go to a school near our place and took an entrance exam. Luckily, I passed. Still, I don't have any idea what course to take. It is because deep in my heart I want to be an archaeologist or a writer. But the course are offered some other place so I have no choice but to choose any course from a nearby school's course list.

So, I went to the school nearby. My cousin who was also about to enter college enrolled in Bachelor of Science in Industrial Engineering. I thought 'Why not take this course? Almost everyone in our clan finished this degree.' I took an enrollment form for Industrial Engineering and completed the enrollment process. Still, something inside me is telling me not to proceed with this course. I remembered on of the guidance counselors told me "Don't ever bother enrolling in Engineering or Medical Course because your intelligence in those fields has a rating of just 1 out of 10" Her voice is echoing in my mind. I slept that night and woke up the next morning with a firm decision-not to proceed in an Engineering Course. I further decided to take an Accountancy course instead. I hurriedly went to the Registrar's office and got a course withdrawal form. Then, I finally decided to go to the Commerce Department and talked to the College of Commerce Dean. He assessed my grades and accepted me to enroll in Accountancy department.

That's it! It started my accounting learning process. During my four years as an Accountancy student, I studied well but never deprived myself from having recreation. I always keep things in balance. Through my effort and with God's help, I have finished the course with flying colors.

Having graduated the course as an honor student is not just a prestige but a challenge as well. Then, I took the review class. But I was slipping away from my goal and so the first time I took the board exam was a tragedy--I failed.

Then, I got a job in the city and worked there for six months as a Bookkeeper/Disbursement officer/collection officer. I saved money from that tedious multi-task job and so I decided to leave the job and made use of my money the better way. I took a review class and decided to stay very focused. Well, I don't have the heart to be a CPA but I thought to myself that an accountancy graduate will have much worth by passing the CPA licensure exam.

I enrolled in one famous review class in our city. The review instructors are equally good. They taught the subject in a detailed manner--such a good refresher course. After six months, I attend another review class in another university. Well the review class was truly awesome because the instructors were doing it in a fast-pace manner. After another six months, I finished the review and was about to take the exam. I paid for the exam fee and then after a month that was May 7,8,14,15 year 2006, were the scheduled exam dates. I was very relaxed in taking the exam and made sure about my answers. It was May 16 and I thought there was a release on CPA Board exam passers but there was nothing about it. Waiting for the exam result was scarier than taking the exam itself. I felt as if floating mid-air wherever I go. On May 17, I shiver more. I went out because I just can't calm down. When I went home, my sister told me that my friends called up and announced that I passed the board exam. Then my close friend Jane called up and congratulated me. I just can't believe that finally I succeeded. Then, everything is history.

Please see more about my accounting life and other accounting topics by CLICKING HERE

No comments: